What providers need to know
Are you a professor, a postdoc or a Ph.D. student at a research institute? Do you want to become a host for a German undergraduate intern?
The RISE Worldwide program offers research internships for German Bachelor students in the fields of natural sciences and Engineering. Research institutes all over the world can participate and submit offers for summer 2018. RISE Worldwide supports the students with a monthly scholarship.
- DAAD has partnered with Canada’s Mitacs to create the new RISE Globalink Research Internships .
- The timetable for next round has changed and starts earlier: Faculty Project Submissions for Summer 2018 have already ended. Project Submissions was June 14, 2017 at 5 pm PDT.
- For German interns the duration of the internship can be between 10-12 weeks (this point is not explicitly mentioned in the Mitacs call for project submissions) and the start date can be later than June 1 (also late July is possible).
1. You are a professor, a postdoc, Ph.D. student or researcher employed by or affiliated with an accredited academic institution or a non-profit research institution, working in the field of natural sciences, earth sciences, Engineering, medicine, mathematics or computer science.
2. You agree to supervise and support the assigned student in local administrative matters with finding accommodation and possibly with recreational activities.
3. We highly recommend integrating Ph.D. students into the project although this is not mandatory. Ph.D. students can submit project proposals themselves if they can produce a letter of support from their supervisor. Please fill in the Letter of Support for Participation 2018 and submit it via E-Mail.
Every researcher can host only one intern. Please upload only one project offer.
Please submit your internship offer to our database. By submitting the offer you confirm that the offer can be be forwarded to the interested applicants.
Find more Information about submitting the offer under Submit an internship offer now!
• RISE Worldwide is a program for undergraduate students enrolled at a German university. Students may apply as early as their second semester at a university (and would then join your team in between their third and fourth semester).
• Students in the fields of engineering, natural or earth sciences and medicine are eligible as well as students from related disciplines if they find an appropriate project.
- Supervising the Research project
- Apartment search
- Visit to the authorities
- Leisure activities
• After DAAD approves your offer, it will be published in the intern database.
• The offer is now accessible to anyone who is interested in applying and has registered online.
• Students may apply for up to three projects.
• DAAD approves only complete applications.
• The prospective hosts are then asked to provide DAAD with a ranking of the received applications.
• Only those students whose applications have been accepted, reviewed and ranked by a potential host are placed with that host’s project. We do our best to account for both the preferences of the students and of the hosts. However, we cannot guarantee in every case that a project provider will be matched with his or her top applicant.
DAAD provides a RISE Worldwide scholarship for the German interns to support undergraduate students to do research Projects.
German students are awarded a DAAD scholarship which includes:
• a monthly allowance (depending on target country)
• a travel subsidy (depending on target country)
• health, accident and personal liability insurance
• participation in a RISE Worldwide alumni meeting in Germany
Funding is provided by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Six weeks to three months weeks between June and October (please note that German academic year usually ends in mid-to-late July). Internships in Canada are between 10 and 12 weeks.
The timeframe of the internship is individually arranged between you and the prospective intern.
1. Researchers from accredited universities and non-profit research institutions register online and submit a maximum of two internship offers, including a one to three page project description, from September 1, 2017 through October 23, 2017 (deadline was extended!). DAAD posts the internship offers in the database.
2. German applicants register online to review the internship offers. They apply from November 1, 2017 through December 15, 2017 to a maximum of three projects.
3. The German applicants’ profiles are checked for eligibility by DAAD staff and are then activated to be reviewed online by the researchers.
4. As a prospective host we ask you to rank the applicants to your project. In order to do so, you may contact the applicants and arrange interviews with them.
5. DAAD places students with internship projects and awards scholarships based on academic merit and the internship providers’ quality assessment. If a project is very popular, it is more likely to receive an intern. Future hosts and interns are notified of the decision at the beginning of March 2018.
6. Earliest start of the internship June 1, 2018
North America, RISE
DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
phone: +49 228 882- 104
Submit Canadian projects through Mitacs until June 14, 2017
Submit worldwide projects until October 23, 2017 (deadline extended!)