What applicants need to know
You are an undergraduate student studying at a North American, British or Irish University. Your major is in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering. You’d like to do an internship in Germany? Great! Please check carefully our application requirements and procedure.
To apply for an internship placement for summer 2022 you must:
- be currently enrolled at a university/college in the United States, Canada, the UK or Ireland as undergraduate student in the field of biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field)
- be an undergraduate who will have completed at least 2 years of a degree program by the time of the internship placement
- prove that you will maintain undergraduate status after the internship has taken place
German language skills are not required for most positions but would be helpful to manage everyday life outside of the laboratory. The working language will generally be English.
We encourage all recent graduates to apply for the RISE Professional program.
You will receive a monthly scholarship of 861 Euros for full month. The amount is calculated on a daily basis if you stay less than 23 days a month. DAAD provides health insurance, accident and personal liability insurance. All interns are invited to the three-day RISE Germany meeting in Heidelberg at the beginning of July and will receive an allowance of 160 Euros for travel to the meeting.
The scholarship also covers international travel costs with an international travel subsidy.
For Canadian applicants: We work closely with the Canadian organisation Mitacs and their Globalink Research Internship program. Mitacs offers 100 positions for successful matched candidates in the RISE Germany program. Those 100 receive a combined scholarship from Mitacs and DAAD:
- Mitacs provides funding to support the student’s travel costs and living expenses
- Health, accident, and liability insurance provided by the DAAD
You can start your internship between May 15 and July 11, 2022 for a duration of three months (minimum stay ten weeks, maximum stay 90 days). Generally speaking the start dates in the internship offers are meant as a timeframe. They are somewhat flexible and would be determined between you and your internship provider. Get in touch with the internship provider if you have questions about the dates.
The application is submitted completely online through the RISE database. If you are interested in participating, the first step for you is to register and to login to access the internship database. Then fill in the online application form and upload all necessary documents. Please check the list of application documents you must submit at the Application portal. The internship database is open between November 1 to December 15, 2021.
- The internship database is open between November 1 to December 15, 2021.
- All applications have to be submitted by December 15, 2021 online (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
- All letters of recommendation have to be submitted by January 14, 2022 (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
- Announcement of RISE internship positions by March 2022 at the latest.
North America, RISE
DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
phone: +49 (228) 882- 425
Monday – Thursday (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Friday (8:00 am – 1:00 pm)
“I spent my summer working at the University of Würzburg on 3D printing vascular structures. This program truly gave me the best of both worlds – I spent the weekdays building my resume and weekends exploring Europe and enhancing my cultural knowledge. I made lifelong friends, traveled to countries and cities I could never have imagined, worked on ground-breaking research, and even learned ein bisschen Deutsch.”
– Megan Handley, Julius-Maximilians-Universität, Würzburg RISE Germany 2019