5 steps to your internship
1 Step – Meet the requirements
• be currently enrolled at a university/college in the United States, Canada or the UK as a full-time student in the field of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field),
• be an undergraduate who will have completed at least 2 years of a degree program by the time of the placement.
• prove that you will be registered as an undergraduate at your university/college for the academic year 2016/2017 (i.e., that you will still have undergraduate status upon your return to your home university)
2 Step – Find an internship & apply
• register and log-in in the database
• memorize your preferred internships
• create your online application and apply for up to three internships
• get all necessary documents in time
• finally submit your application
3 Step – Get selected
4 Step – Prepare your stay in Germany
• get in contact with your future supervisor and discuss your possible start and end date of your internship
• inform the DAAD RISE Germany team about the duration
• Find accommodation
• search as early as you can for a suitable accommodation in Germany
• ask your supervisor for help
• get attention on fake offer
• Apply for VISA
• If you are a national of the United States, Canada or of a European Member State and you are planning to stay less than 90 days in Germany, you do not need a visa to enter Germany. If you are staying longer than 90 days in Germany we recommend to apply for a VISA.
• Students of all other nationality, please carefully read the visa requirements in case you are planning to stay longer than 90 days in Germany.
• Please contact the embassy yourself and clarify upcoming questions about the visa required to enter Germany.
• Formalities in Germany
• (Work permit waiver)
• Once you entered Germany you have to register at the Residents’ Registration Office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”)of the city where you are doing your internship within the first few days of arrival.
• Open a German bank account to receive your scholarship payments if you get paid by DAAD
5 Step – Start your internship
• Meet your supervisor and team
• Explore your internship city, Germany and Europe
• Meet other RISE Germany interns at the meeting in Heidelberg
• adhere to all rules and regulations agreed upon with the internship provider as well as DAAD’s program rules.
• immediately inform DAAD, as well as the internship provider, should any problems or changes occur that might affect the internship.
• do his/her best to successfully complete the internship.
• be open-minded about his or her stay in another country, people and living conditions, and especially about his/her new colleagues. Be pro-active when it comes to exchange!
• network with other DAAD/RISE scholarship holders in the region and to be helpful to new arrivals.
• submit all reports and other documents requested by DAAD at the end of his/her scholarship period