What applicants need to know
You are enrolled as Master or Ph.D. student or a Bachelor who is a RISE Germany- Alumni at a North American, British or Irish university (depending on the internship recent graduates in between degrees are also eligible). Your Major is in biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, earth sciences or physics. You would like to work in a German company for the summer. Great! Please check carefully our application requirements and procedure.
Who can apply?
To apply for a RISE Professional internship you must:
- be enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. program at a North American, British or Irish university (at the time of the internship) in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Earth Science or Engineering (or a closely related field)
be an undergraduate RISE Germany-Alumni in a relevant field studying at a North American, British or Irish university (at the time of the internship)
- Depending on the internship recent graduates are also eligible to apply, requirement is that the graduation date is no more than 8 months ago at the time of application
- International students in these countries must be in the country for at least 12 months at the time of application
- German language requirements depend on the nature of the internship. Some require at least an intermediate level of German language skills while others require none at all
What does the scholarship include?
This year, we also offer internships up to six months. Due to the German law and minimum wage regulations there are different options of payment for your internship:
1) Applies to enrolled students with an internship duration up to 3 months AND students of mandatory internships up to 6 months:
Proof of enrollment (and optional proof of a mandatory internship) must be submitted.
DAAD provides you with a monthly scholarship of 434 Euros for Bachelor and Master students and 700 Euros for Ph.D. students. The hosting Company has to pay you additionally 500 Euros net per month.
2) Applies to enrolled students with internships longer than 3 months (up to 6 months) AND to recent graduates:
The company has to pay you the minimum wage (12 Euro/h before tax) for the entire duration (Minimum wage)
Please look carefully if the hosting company or institution is offering the minimum wage.
If the minimum wage is not offered, only enrolled students can apply and the maximum duration of the internship is 3 months.
Recent graduates can only apply to offers with minimum wage.
For all scholarship holders DAAD provides:
– Travel expenses depending on the country of origin.
– Health insurance and accident and personal/private liability insurance.
– For those who plan to attend a language course in Germany, DAAD covers 70 % of course-fees (max. 250 Euros)
– All scholarship holders are invited to the three-day RISE meeting in Heidelberg at the beginning of July and will receive 160 Euros travel reimbursement to the meeting.
Please be advised that, for visa related questions, DAAD is not your contact partner. We will provide you with information as available on public government websites to help navigate through the visa application. DAAD will provide the required documents regarding your scholarship but cannot guarantee nor give you any assurance regarding positive visa application outcomes. We recommend for all non-EU citizens to apply for a early for a visa.
Please note that we cannot provide support for spouses and / or children potentially accompanying you during the time of the scholarship or regarding visa related questions.
An internship is possible for a period up to six months between May 15 and December 31, 2023.
How do I apply?
The application is submitted completely online through the RISE Professional database. If you are interested in participating, the first step for you is to register and to login to access the internship database. Then fill in the online application form and upload all necessary documents. Please check the list of application documents you must submit in the application portal. The internship database opens between November 1 and December 15, 2022.
- The internship database opens between November 1 and December 15, 2022.
- All applications have to be submitted by December 15, 2022 online! Extension December 20, 2022!
- All letters of reference have to be submitted by January 14, 2023 (EXTENSION)!
North America, RISE
DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
phone: +49 228 882- 696
Fore more information have a look at our presentation from Oktober 22 with RISE Pro Alumna Luisa Venegas and the Question and Answer session afterwards:
“My summer in the RISE program was the most important event of my life. It was my first chance to realize one of my dreams: to travel outside of my own country. I learned more than I can possibly put into words and formed permanent friendships. I can never repay the privilege the RISE Professional program provided to me.”
– Benjamin Lehe, Fitbase GmbH, Hamburg RISE Professional 2019