What applicants need to know
You are an undergraduate student studying at a North American, British or Irish University. Your major is in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering. You’d like to do an internship in Germany? Great! Please check carefully our application requirements and procedure.
To apply for an internship placement for summer 2019 you must:
- be currently enrolled at a university/college in the United States, Canada, the UK or Ireland as a full-time student in the field of biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field)
- be an undergraduate who will have completed at least 2 years of a degree program by the time of the internship placement
- prove that you will maintain undergraduate status after the internship has taken place
German language skills are not required for most positions but would be helpful to manage everyday life outside of the laboratory. The working language will generally be English.
You will receive a monthly scholarship of 750 Euros for full month. The amount will be calculated on a daily basis if you will stay less than 23 days a month. DAAD provides health insurance, accident and personal liability insurance. All interns are invited to the three-day RISE meeting in Heidelberg at the beginning of July and will receive an allowance of 160 Euros for travel to the meeting.
The scholarship also covers international travel costs with an international travel subsidy.
For Canadian applicants: We work closely with the Canadian organisation Mitacs and their Globalink Research Internship program. Mitacs offers 60 positions for successful matched candidates in the RISE Germany program. Those 60 receive a combined scholarship from Mitacs and DAAD:
- Mitacs provides funding to support the student’s travel costs and living expenses
- Health, accident, and liability insurance provided by the DAAD
You can start your internship between May 15 and July 9, 2019 for a duration of three month (minimum stay ten weeks). Generally speaking the start dates in the internship offers are meant as a timeframe. They are somewhat flexible and would be determined between you and your PhD supervisor. Get in touch with the PhD student if you have questions about the dates.
The application is submitted completely online through the RISE database. If you are interested in participating, the first step for you is to register and to login to access the internship database. Then fill in the online application form and upload all necessary documents. Please check the list of application documents you must submit at the Application portal. The internship database opens between November 1, 2018 and December 15, 2018.
- The internship database opens between November 1, 2018 and December 15, 2018.
- All applications have to be submitted by December 15, 2018 online (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
- All letters of recommendation have to be submitted by December 22, 2018 (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
North America, RISE
DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
phone: +49 (228) 882- 425
Monday – Thursday (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Friday (8:00 am – 1:00 pm)