On behalf of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is supporting the "German-Ecuadorian Research Co-operation Programme on Biodiversity and Climate Change". Over a term of 18 months, the German-Ecuadorian research co-operation in the fields of biodiversity and climate change will be intensified as part of the DAAD-GIZ co-operation and the conditions for the application of the results of bilateral research projects will be improved. The central implementing partner in Ecuador is the Ecuadorian Ministry of the Environment MAE with its National Institute of Biodiversity (INABIO).
German and Ecuadorian partners should be enabled to carry out joint research at a high level and to develop application-oriented results. The co-operation projects are carried out jointly by at least one German and at least one Ecuadorian university or research institution. The formation of consortia is possible. DAAD and GIZ plan a matchmaking event to initiate contacts with the potential research partners; during the course of the funding network events and symposia will be held in Germany and Ecuador.
In order to contribute to these long-term effects (impacts), the programme pursues four programme objectives (outcomes):
- Programme objective/outcome 1: Research results are applicable in Germany and Ecuador and are used.
- Programme objective/outcome 2: The performance of the participating science-related institutes and universities is improved.
- Programme objective/outcome 3: International and national networking of the co-operation partners is strengthened among themselves and with other actors (research institutes, Ecuadorian authorities).
- Programme objective/outcome 4: German universities have acquired expertise in development co-operation.
- German and Ecuadorian professors, scientists, university administrators of the beneficiary
- German and Ecuadorian graduates, doctoral candidates, post-graduates
From 24th to 26th June, 2019, a matchmaking workshop will be held in Quito with the Ecuadorian co-operation partners of the DAAD (Ministry of the Environment of Ecuador MAE, National Institute of Biodiversity INABIO), to which the Ecuadorian and German university representatives (university professors and scientists) will be invited with positive evaluations of interest.
The application deadline is 5th August 2019 for the project funding and 6th May for the participation at the Matchmaking.
The funding period will be from 1st October 2019 to 31st March 2021.