Organising health insurance

Hüttermann / DAAD

<< Enrolment
Registering >>

Anyone wanting to study in Germany needs health insurance – without this you won't be able to enrol in a German university.

To study in Germany you need health insurance. Many students will be able to use their health insurance from their home country. Germany has concluded social insurance agreements with some countries, including the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area. This means that anyone who has statutory health insurance in their home country can register this insurance cover with a statutory health insurer in Germany. To find out the best way of doing this you will need to contact your local health insurance company. You generally need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Private health insurers from other countries are sometimes also recognised in Germany. Your local insurer will be able to provide more information. In this case, you will need a confirmation certificate to enrol in the university. Anyone commencing their studies in Germany with private insurance is then not allowed to switch to a statutory health insurer for the entire duration of their course.

Health insurance for a language course or a preparatory course?

Anyone participating in a preparatory (language) course is generally obliged to obtain health insurance. In this case, it is not possible to obtain health insurance from a statutory health insurer, so you will have to obtain private health insurance. Holders of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) should check whether they need an additional insurance for travel abroad.

Finding insurance in Germany

Anyone who does not have access to their local health insurance will need to obtain insurance in Germany. The statutory health insurers in Germany are obliged to provide discounted student rates for their insurance cover for students until they reach 30 years of age or until the end of their 14th subject-related semester.

DAAD Insurance

The DAAD is offering an affordable combined health, accident and liability insurance for interns, students and researchers coming to Germany.

You can obtain health insurance from any statutory health insurer in Germany. They generally charge a standard fee for student health and nursing insurance. The membership fee is currently 80 euros a month. The health insurer will issue you a certificate on the existing insurance cover, which you need to submit during enrolment.

Anyone who is over 30 years of age or has been studying for more than 14 semesters during their period of study in Germany can maintain their statutory insurance, but at a higher rate. Anyone who is over the age of 29 when starting their course can only obtain private insurance.

Service packages for international students

Many student unions provide service packages for international students. These contain accommodation and board as well as health insurance, in most cases.