Postdoctoral Researchers’ Networking Tour 2019
The deadline for submitting your application is Monday, July 29th, 2019.
The Internet of Things, Cyber-physical Systems, and the Future of Manufacturing: Developing Industry 4.0 in Germany
September 22nd to 28th 2019
The Postdoctoral Researchers’ Networking Tour 2019 offers insightful on-site visits to universities, research institutes and companies in the field of Industry 4.0, the German government’s initiative to promote the development of data-driven, AI-powered, and connected “smart factories”.
Germany is the fourth largest economy in the world and Europe’s largest industrial producer. In 2016 Germany’s industrial output totalled US$1.050 trillion (worldatlas.com). Researchers and industrial partners in Germany build on a profound and long-standing expertise in handling production processes, and on a wealth of data related to these processes. The existing data provides an ideal test bed for studying and integrating new digital and industrial processes. Research in this field is highly sought after and implementing these processes will be of critical importance for future industrial development. This is true not only for large companies but for enterprises of all sizes given that Germany’s industrial output depends to a large extent on a multitude of small and medium sized companies.
This year’s Postdoctoral Researchers’ Networking Tour offers a comprehensive and enjoyable opportunity to study important aspects of Industry 4.0, including the close cooperation between academy and industry as well as examples of practical implementation.
Travelling together throughout Germany, the tour’s participants will be offered a close look at the front line of state-of-the-art Industry 4.0 research. At the same time, the tour will inform about interesting research cooperation and employment opportunities. Participating researchers will be able to exchange their ideas with other participants from all over the world, with representatives from German academia and industry, and with us.
Are you interested? Apply now!
The tour language is English. The planned tour schedule is
|22.09.19||Aachen||Opening speech and welcome|
|23.09.19||Aachen||RWTH Aachen University: Cluster of Excellence "Internet of Production" (IoP)|
|24.09.19||Dortmund||TU Dortmund: ML2R - The Competence Center Machine Learning Rhine-Ruhr|
|25.09.19||Verl||Beckhoff Automation GmbH|
|26.09.19||Berlin||Federal Ministry of Education and Research: World Café on funding and job opportunities|
|Potsdam||U Potsdam: Research and Application Centre Industry 4.0|
The detailed schedule and regular updates on the institutions to be visited and related topics (including links) are available here.
What you can expect:
Receive first-hand information by meeting top scientists during on-site visits to
- research institutes
- private companies
Obtain insight into top notch research projects
- For details, check the detailed tour schedule
Face-to-face discussions with experts to find out more about
- The German research system
- German industry
- Funding opportunities
- The job markets
- The employers’ perspective
- Application procedures for jobs and funding
Furthermore, you will benefit from numerous networking opportunities with
- Representatives from business and academia,
- The other tour participants,
What we expect:
Applicants should have
- obtained their PhD/doctorate no longer than 5 years ago and have not been living in Germany or affiliated to a German institution within the previous 12 months
- been researching in a subject area corresponding to the focus of the tour
- demonstrated high productivity and quality in their scientific work. This should be clearly documented in the list of publications (journal/conference proceedings), patents and other achievements
- a genuine interest in taking the next step in their career in Germany and be able to demonstrate this (e.g. former or current cooperation, specific career demands)
- exhibited drive and determination, initiative and a willingness to play a role in shaping the future.
What we provide:
- a hands-on, practical, and rich programme to suit the requirements of different participants
- coverage of all programme-related costs in Germany (accommodation, domestic travel, most meals)
- a lump sum travel allowance (for travel to Germany) if such costs are not covered by a third party. This will also be provided if the stay is extended by up to five working days in order to allow for additional professional networking.
NB: A pdf version of the application form is also here (PDF, 1.1 MB). We suggest that you read the application carefully before completing the online form. We have tried to keep the form as short as possible and to focus on the information needed for the selection process. In addition to the application you will need to upload a copy of your CV and a publication list.
The deadline for submitting your application is July 29th, 2019.
Contact us at
GSO Leadership Academy
The GSO Leadership Academy supports young researchers of all disciplines who want to develop the skills needed for the next step in their careers in academia and beyond. Together with renowned partners the GSO Leadership Academy offers selected candidates two intensive training periods in the U.S. and in Germany. Fellows will obtain a better understanding of their own approach to leadership and of what it means to model leadership in different research-related environments, and they will learn how to further their personal development.
Research in Germany
Germany offers various career opportunities for international PhD students and researchers. Read more about your career and research opportunities in Germany by visiting the website „Research in Germany“: www.research-in-germany.org
Postdoc-NeT 2016 - 2018
Information on last year’s tour “Artificial Intelligence Coming of Age – Research and Development in Germany” can be found here.
In 2017 the topic of Postdoc-NeT was Materials Science and Nanotechnology. Further information can be found here.
In 2016 the topic of Postdoc-NeT was Perspectives in German Molecular Bioscience. Information on the Schedule and the participants is available here.