“Digital Transformation: Higher Education and Research for Sustainable Development”, Bonn 8-9 November 2018
Digitalisation has a transformative societal impact, providing solutions and creating new challenges. Against the background of the Sustainable Development Goals it is imperative to analyse this impact in further detail.
The workshop “Digital Transformation: Higher Education and Research for Sustainable Development” that took place between 8-9 November 2018 in the DAAD headquarters in Bonn, Germany, was organised by the German Academic Exchange Service (as part of the DIES programme) and the German Development Institute (DIE) to address this issue and deal with the following resulting questions within the triangle of education, research and development:
- Where are the opportunities of digitalisation for sustainable development?
- Which fundamental new questions arise due to digitalisation?
- What are the implications for higher education, a corner stone for sustainable development?
- What impact does digitalisation have on international research networks and science cooperation?
To elaborate on these topics the workshop was structured around four regional round tables. Each round table had an input paper as a basis for further discussion between the experts and representatives from civil society, government, higher education and research institutions..
During the evening of 8 November, a public lecture and discussion held by Prof. Dr. Dirk Messner ensured the engagement of the participating experts with a broader audience of higher education and development professionals.
The workshop aimed to agree on an experts' position paper on the implications of digitalisation for higher education and sustainable development which is available below.
- Barbara Moser-Mercer: Digital Higher Education in Crisis Contexts, potential and risks for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
- Johan van Niekerk: The Impact of Digitalisation on Higher Education in Africa
- Dominic Orr: Digitalisation in Industrialised Countries – Opportunities and Societal Challenges
- Shreyasi Singh: Digitalisation in Southern Powers: Growth and Transformation
DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service
Development Cooperation: Partnership Programmes, Alumni Projects and Higher Education Management / P32
Tel.: +49 228 882-144