How to apply
Application Guidelines for North American Students & RISE Alumni Germany - Summer 2014
Are you looking for a practical, career-building experience in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Sciences and Engineering (or closely related subjects)? Are you a Bachelor, Master or PhD student from the US or Canada? If you have answered "yes” to both questions, then the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is pleased to invite you to apply for a summer professional internship in Germany. RISE professional summer placements take place in a broad spectrum of companies. The program is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education & Research (BMBF).
1. Program Mission
RISE professional placements provide students the opportunity to live and work in an international context, to gain confidence in their practical and professional skills, and to improve their German. Last but not least, the internship should be a source of mutual cultural and professional enrichment for both the interns and their host companies.
To apply for a RISE professional internship you must:
- be a student enrolled in a Masters or PhD program at a North American university (at the time of the internship) in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science or Engineering (or a closely related field) *
- be an undergraduate RISE Alumni or former DAAD scholarship holder in a relevant field studying at a North American university (at the time of the internship) *
- be a recently graduated student (graduation in 2013 or 2014) from a United States or Canadian university/college and hold US American or Canadian citizenship
* Applicants must prove that they have student status at the time of the internship.
- German language requirements depend on the nature of the internship. Some require at least an intermediate level of German language skills while others require none at all.
- In addition to RISE professional DAAD offers another program focussing on universities and research institutes (RISE). Parallel applications to both RISE and RISE professional are NOT possible. Duplicate applications will not be considered.
3. Terms of Award
DAAD will provide a monthly scholarship of € 150 for undergraduates, € 250 for MA-students and graduates and € 500 for PhD students. The host companies will contribute an additional stipend of € 500 per month. Furthermore, each scholarship holder will receive a lump sum of € 800 for travel expenses and € 150 travel reimbursement for the trip to the scholarship meeting in Heidelberg or Dresden. DAAD will also provide health insurance and accident and personal/private liability insurance.
All scholarship holders will be invited to a 2-3 days meeting in Cologne.
For those who plan to attend a language course in Germany, DAAD will cover 80 % of course-fees (max. € 500).
Funding is possible for a period of 6 weeks to 6 months (pro-rated depending on length of stay) between May and December 2014.
5. Application Process
First step: Registration
If you are interested in participating in the RISE professional program 2014, please register online between December 6, 2013 and January 31, 2014. Registration will enable you to access the internship offers submitted by German companies.
Second step: Application
Application is also possible starting December 6. You may apply for up to 3 internships. The application deadline is January 31, 2014 (date of receipt). You will be notified by the beginning of March 2014 whether or not your application has been successful.
All applicants must submit the following documents online:
- a cover letter addressed to the companies to which you plan to apply
- curriculum vitae/résumé
- a list of subjects studied by the time the internship begins
- a letter of reference from a senior academic/professor in your field of study from the university you are enrolled at
- a letter of reference from a past employer (if available)
- official university/college transcript (No unofficial transcripts are accepted! Please open the envelope of the official transcript if necessary. The original transcript has to be sent after acceptance to RISE pro)
- a completed "Certificate of enrolment” form (recent graduates have to submit this form, too)
- a copy of the passport (has to be emailed after acceptance to RISE pro)
- You may be contacted by the companies to which you have applied to discuss any question related to the application.
German Academic Exchange Service
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
Section 316 - Programs for North Americans, Project Grants
Phone: +49 -228-882-104 (from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
Fax: +49 -228-882-9-104