For work samples which have to be submitted with applications for a DAAD study in the field of fine art, design/visual communication and film, the following applies:
a) Painters, sculptors and designers:
- The work samples may be submitted in the following formats:
- On a DVD or USB stick as individual images (jpg) or as portfolio in one file (PDF).
- Pictures must be submitted in jpg format.
- If possible, all pictures should be saved in ONE folder. The folder should be marked with the NAME of the artist.
- If necessary (e.g. if many different techniques are used), ONE level of subfolders can be created, with every subfolder named accordingly (e.g. photos, graphics, sketches, etc.). Please do not create any more levels of additional subfolders!
- A file containing a list of the individual works must be enclosed. The list must contain the following information: name of work, type of work, size of work in centimeters, year of origin, contributors if applicable. Example: Close Encounters, Oil on Canvas, 30x40 cm, 2019, together with Monika Mustermann
- Sculptural work should be shown from different perspectives, and proportions should be apparent.
- In justified exceptional cases, applicants may submit a portfolio in printed form.
Important! The Selection Committee's assessment and grading of work depends to a significant extent on the manner in which it is presented. Even the best works of art can lose their validity if badly presented!
Films, videos and animations:
Each applicant is allowed 8 minutes of film time. If films are longer, appropriate compilations of the whole film must be presented. Short films from up to 8 minutes running time can be submitted in their full length. A longer duration can not be considered.
Showreels and movie trailers are not desired!
It must be clear whether the film itself is a work of art or whether the film documents an artistic piece of work (e.g. a spatial installation, performance, etc.)
- Both normal DVDs (without regional code, without copy protection, with or without a menu) and video files on USB stick may be submitted. It is important that they can be played on a standard Windows PC with the VLC player or on the Windows Mediaplayer.
- Each data carrier should be marked with the following: title, name of the artist, length, year.If the CD/DVD contains several films, these should be marked as follows: name of artist, number of films, total length of all films!
- If several people have contributed to a film, all participants and their role or task must be stated in the closing credits, and if necessary in the catalogue of works, especially the role played by the applicant (director, cameraman, etc.).
For all applicants:
- Links to online storage locations will not be accepted as work samples.
- Please do not upload any work samples, portfolios or any other works to the DAAD portal.
- Please note that your works of art will be presented to the Selection Committee using a HD projector.