Researcher in the field of Hydrological ModelingPhD - Individual Supervisor
15 Dec 2023
01 Apr 2024
01 Apr 2024 for 42 months
15 Dec 2023
Type of Position
PhD - Individual Supervisor
Areas of study
Agrobiology, Agricultural Economics , Agricultural Science , Aquaculture, Fisheries , Horticulture, Agriculture, Husbandry, Viticulture, Forestry, Forest Science, Wood Technology, Wood Management, Arboriculture, Landscape Conservation, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Design, Environmental Design, Waste Management, Disposal Technology, Renewable Raw Materials, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Protection Technology, Geography, Physical Geography, Hydrology, Sustainability Sciences (Ecological), Nature Conservation, Environmental Protection, Environmental Science
Support us as a PhD student from 01.04.2024 in part-time (65 %) as a
Researcher in the field of Hydrological Modeling
Pending final approval the position is to be filled in the third-party funded research group "TRIO - Transformative Mixed Crop Systems for One Health" for a limited period until 30.09.2027 at the Institute of Landscape Ecology and Resource Management at the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Nutritional Sciences and Environmental Management. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
Your tasks at a glance
- You will establish and maintain the sensor network at two experimental sites of JLU Giessen and conduct the planned field experiments
- You will couple the hydrological model CMF with an agricultural plant growth model (working group from Kassel) to simulate the water flows and yield performance of the planned mixed cropping systems at TRIO's total of three experimental sites
- You will scale the model applications to the whole of Hessen and predict water flows and yield performance under climate change
- You will present and disseminate project results in scientific conferences and journals
Your qualifications and competences
- You hold a Master degree in environmental science with a focus on geoecology, environmental sciences, computer science or related disciplines
- You have extensive experience in programming (especially Python)
- You know hydrological processes and have background in hydrological modeling
- You have basic knowledge in handling measurement sensors and are willing to perform field work at the experimental sites in Hessen
- You communicate fluently in spoken and written English
- You are a highly motivated person that brings curiosity in research and is committed to pursue scientific excellence in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative, and international environment
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "audit familiengerechte hochschule")
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Herr Dr. David Windhorst by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by December 15th, 2023, indicating reference number 671/09. Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file and must include a cover and motivation letter, curriculum vitae, a minimum of two references with full contact details, and academic certificates. We look forward to receiving your application.
- Letter of Motivation
- Reports, certificates