Smart Electrical Power Systems Summer School Smart Electrical Power Systems Summer School
RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- Course location
- Teaching language
- Language level of course
- English: B2
- July 2019 (Registration Deadline April 01, 2019)
- Target group
You are a BSc/BE student enrolled at a renowned university, have profound knowledge of the English language and are studying mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or a related field.
A basic understanding of power generation and power systems, electrochemical systems and basic understanding of electricity system and its components will be expected.
The minimum age to participate is 18. Students should have completed the first year of their studies.
This summer school is centred around the scientific question as to whether a high penetration of distributed generation such as rooftop solar installations or wind power would make an electrical distribution system unreliable or unstable. To reap the full potential of renewable, environment-friendly solar and wind power and to reduce investments in wide-area grids and transportation losses, we need to better balance supply and demand at the local or regional level. This is the goal of smart power grids and virtual power plants.
Students receive an overview of current challenges and new technologies with regards to the future electric grid. Topics include but are not limited to the distribution and transfer of direct current measurement and monitoring methods in modern power systems, integration of new technologies in new power systems, and the modernisation of power systems as well as energy storage systems.
The E.ON Energy Research Center of RWTH Aachen University is the leading institution of this summer school and responsible for the overall direction of the academic content. The E.ON ERC is supported by an expert of the BatterieIngenieure GmbH and the Institute of Power Systems and Power Economics.
- Average number of hours per week
- Average number of participants per group/course
- Dates and costs
- July 2019 (Registration Deadline April 01, 2019), costs: EUR 1,990.00
- This price includes
- Course fees
- Accompanying programme
- Further information on dates and prices.
The course fees amount to 1,990 EUR for the two-week summer school programme.
The course fees include all lectures, laboratory courses and excursions, social events, accommodation, breakfast, lunch, all meals during social events, and a public transport ticket for the duration of the course.
Early Bird Discount: complete your application by 1 March to get a 10% discount on the total fees - in case of admission!
- Teaching language
- Language level of course
- English: B2
- Language requirements
An English language proficiency test is recommended.
Since the programme is taught in English, you need to have sufficient academic English language skills to be able to follow the course.
- Submit application to
- Is accommodation organised?
- Accommodation is arranged by the organiser.
- Type of accommodation
Participants will stay at one of Aachen's hostels, where breakfast will be provided. The rooms accommodate two to four people.
The accommodation is centrally located in the heart of the city and is well served by the city's public transport system.
Students will receive a public transport ticket for the duration of the Summer School for convenient travel within the Aachen city region.
Breakfast and lunch on workdays are included.
- Is a social and leisure programme offered?
- Description of social and leisure programme
Social Events - Have Fun While Studying!
While following an intensive academic programme, participants will experience German culture first hand through an extensive leisure programme, e.g.,:
- Intercultural training
- Participation in the "Buddy Programme"
- Visits to important sights in and around Aachen
- Excursions to nearby cities such as Maastricht or Cologne
- Sporting events
- Barbecues, karaoke and other get-togethers
... and a lot more - enjoy your stay!
- Free internet access
- Support in visa matters
- Pick-up service from train station/airport
RWTH Aachen University
With 260 institutes in nine faculties, RWTH Aachen University is one of Europe's leading institutions for science and research. Currently, around 42,000 students are enrolled in over 100 academic programmes. More than 6,000 of them are international students. The scientific education students receive at RWTH Aachen University is firmly rooted in real-world applications. Our graduates are highly sought after by businesses as trainees and for executive positions.
Aachen, Germany's westernmost city, is located on the borders with Belgium and the Netherlands. Its population is about 240,000. Aachen's historic centre around the distinctive cathedral (UNESCO world heritage site) is characterised by a student lifestyle. On the city's doorsteps, the hilly Eifel landscape with its rivers, lakes and forests offers a picturesque countryside for outdoor recreation.
Aachen benefits greatly from its central location: in the heart of Europe!
Language course/short course
- » Agile Innovation: Product Design meets Engineering Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Automation and Simulation Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Automotive and Mobility Studies Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Bringing Technological Innovations to Market: The Case of E-Mobility Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » German Engineering, Language and Culture Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Mechatronic Systems Engineering and Product Innovation Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Production Technology Meets Industry 4.0 Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Robotics for Future Industrial Applications Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Six Sigma Quality Management Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Smart Factories Winter School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Structural Engineering of Industrial Facilities Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Supply Chain Management & Logistics Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen
- » Sustainable Energy Technology Summer School • RWTH Aachen University • Aachen