Cologne Prep Class Cologne Prep Class
TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- Course location
- Teaching language
- August 2019 - June 2020 (Registration Deadline April 01, 2019)
You want to prepare for the university entrance examination in Germany because you do not have direct access to the German university system and you are looking for a Studienkolleg? You are interested in a BA programme in economics, social sciences or engineering?
Cologne Prep Class will give you a solid foundation for the study programme of your choice. You will expand your existing German skills in language courses. Highly qualified teachers and a motivating learning environment will prepare you for the university entrance examination in the best possible way. The university entrance examination, or "Feststellungsprüfung", takes place at TH Köln at the end of the programme. You will be tested by the same teachers who have taught you during the programme.
Upon successful completion of the programme, you will receive preferential treatment when applying for a Bachelor's programme at TH Köln. Moreover, your CPC diploma will be acknowledged by all German universities and universities of applied sciences.
Apart from the prep courses and language training, CPC helps participants find a room in a student dormitory, acquire student visas, and deal with other bureaucratic matters. CPC also organises trips, intercultural workshops, and information events for the upcoming Bachelor's studies.
TH Köln has been successfully running Cologne Prep Class since September 2009.
We look forward to welcoming you in Cologne!
- Course components
- Subject-specific preparation
- General preparation for studies
- Preparation for academic working methods
- Intercultural training
- Orientation "Living in Germany"
- Preparation for entrance examinations
- Language course
- Recognised language exams offered (e.g. DSH, TestDaF, TOEFL)
- Do course participants have student status?
- Does this course involve taking the university entrance examination or does the course specifically prepare students for this examination?
- Preparation for degree programmes
- Bachelor's degree
- Preparation for subject groups
- Law, Economics and Social Sciences
- Mathematics, Natural Sciences
- Further information on subsequent admission to degree programmes/guaranteed admission
CPC graduates are offered preferential treatment when applying for a Bachelor's programme at TH Köln. Furthermore, the CPC diploma is recognised by all German universities and universities of applied sciences.
- Average number of participants per group/course
- 6,000 EUR
- This price includes
- Course fees
- Course fees for language course
- Accompanying programme
- Further information regarding the price
The course fee covers the semester fee of approx. 270 EUR for two semesters (incl. student ID card, NRW ticket for public transport, meals at student prices in the cafeteria, etc.).
- Academic Admission Requirements
Successful academic record that permits access to the German university system via the university entrance examination (i.e. Feststellungsprüfung)
- Language requirements
Students must have successfully completed a B1 certificate according to the Common European Framework of Reference. Certificates of attendance cannot be considered!
- Do applicants require a higher education entrance qualification recognised in Germany?
- Do applicants have to have already been admitted to a degree course at your university?
- Submit application to
Betzdorfer Str. 2
- Is accommodation organised?
- The organiser helps participants look for accommodation.
CPC applicants may apply for a room in a student dormitory via the Kölner Studierendenwerk: www.kstw.de
We will help participants with this process and get in touch with the Kölner Studierendenwerk to have them treated on a preferential basis.
Please note, though, that there cannot be a guarantee for an available room. Early application for a room is essential.
There is a large cafeteria that serves hot meals on campus. Three different set meals - including a salad, hot meal, and dessert - are offered every day. Vegetarian options are available. In addition, students can mix their own fresh salad from the salad bar. Fruit, pastries, and sandwiches are also available.
- Is a social and leisure programme offered?
- Description of social and leisure programme
Official welcome reception, orientation week, welcome party, guided city tour, intercultural workshops, visit to a museum, company visit, information on entering the university system
- Free internet access
- Support in visa matters
- Pick-up service from train station/airport
- Supervisor-student ratio
TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences)
Technische Hochschule Köln – abbreviated as TH Köln – University of Applied Sciences – sees itself as a university of technology, arts, and sciences. With its disciplinary and cultural diversity and openness, TH Köln's activities are aimed at cultural and technological breakthroughs of high societal relevance. Thus, TH Köln contributes substantially to resolving social challenges. As a community of faculty and students, we see ourselves as a learning organisation forging new paths. For instance, TH Köln is one of the pioneers in the field of development and formation of concepts for higher education didactics.
Our subject range includes the fields of applied natural sciences, architecture and construction, information and communication, computer science, engineering, culture, and society and social sciences as well as business studies. More than 80 degree programmes are offered as full-time programmes or, in some cases, as career-integrated or part-time programmes. As a place where research-based learning and academic education take place, the university nurtures prospective scholars through cooperative dissertations. Annually, about 6,000 students take up their studies at TH Köln. Overall, 25,000 students from about 120 different countries along with 420 professors and 1,700 staff apply their potential.
Research mainly focuses on future-related issues, including climate change, energy supply, health, and food safety as well as demographic changes. While developing solution strategies for the most important questions of our time, researchers offer their professional expertise in interdisciplinary interaction. At the same time, they collaborate closely with local, national, and international cooperation partners, including 290 international institutions of higher education. The university offers its researchers an attractive sphere of activity. The quality seal "HR Excellence in Research" awarded by the European Commission certifies that TH Köln meets international standards in the field of human resources development.
TH Köln’s campuses are located in Cologne, Gummersbach and Leverkusen.
Its metropolitan vibe, diverse student scene and a cityscape abounding with cultural and historical treasures make Cologne one of Europe's prime university cities. Cologne's origins date back to the Roman Empire more than 2,000 years ago. Today, Cologne is Germany's fourth largest city with a population of just over one million and has evolved as an economic and cultural metropolis at the heart of Europe. The city's characteristic landmark and source of pride for every inhabitant is without a doubt the magnificent Cologne Cathedral, locally known as the "Kölner Dom". Towering over the quaint Old Town of Cologne at 156 metres, this masterpiece of Gothic architecture is the world's third-highest cathedral and attracts around six million visitors a year, making it Germany's most popular tourist attraction. Visitors from all over the world are bound to feel at home immediately, as Cologne is a true melting pot of cultures: Close to one-fifth of its inhabitants have an international background. Cologne's economy is characterised by its amalgamation of different industries and trades. Home to the country's most influential television and radio stations, Cologne is unquestionably Germany's media capital and host to some of the continent's biggest trade fairs. Quite a few of the world's most renowned enterprises call the metropolitan region their home, in particular corporations operating in the automobile industry, biotechnology and life sciences, chemicals and pharmaceuticals as well as commerce and banking. Please note that TH Köln also has two remote campuses outside Cologne, which are located in the towns of Gummersbach and Leverkusen. Gummersbach is a town with 50,000 inhabitants located 55 km east of Cologne, surrounded by a hilly landscape which is a recreational area for residents from Cologne and other cities nearby. The campus can be reached in a few minutes from Gummersbach train station. A train ride to Cologne, which is the largest city in the region, takes one hour and ten minutes and will be covered by the semester ticket, which is included in the semester fee. Students will be able to find affordable accommodation in Gummersbach and focus on their studies in the great environment of a modern campus. The Leverkusen campus is located 15 km north of Cologne in the CHEMPARK in Leverkusen, which is one of the largest chemical parks in Europe. Global players from the chemical and pharmaceutical industry, such as Bayer and LANXESS, are located there. With 160,000 inhabitants, Leverkusen is a smaller industrial city which has plenty of opportunities for relaxation thanks to its location in the foothills of the Bergisches Land region. In Leverkusen, you can find urban buzz and village-like tranquillity in close proximity. The campus can also be reached with the TH Köln semester ticket.
- » Bachelor of Arts in Digital Games • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Bachelor of Arts in Integrated Design • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Environment and Resources Management with Focus on Latin America and the Caribbean: Double Degree Master's Programme between Mexico and Germany • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Integrated Water Resources Management - IWRM MSc Joint Exchange Programme with Focus on the Middle East and Northern Africa Region • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Arts in Digital Games • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Arts in Game Development and Research • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Arts in Integrated Design • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Arts in International Business • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Arts in International Management and Intercultural Communication/GlobalMBA • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Engineering in Automation & IT • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Communication Systems and Networks • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Computer Science - Specialisation in Information Systems • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) - South-East Asia • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Natural Resources Management and Development (NRM) • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Natural Resources Management for South East Asia • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Renewable Energy Management (REM) • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln
- » Master of Science in Web Science • TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) • Köln