Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
University Summer Courses offered in Germany for Foreign Students and Graduates • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Restricted to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Please note: The programme is currently being updated
This scholarship programme aims to help students and graduates improve their knowledge of German (general language, special language) and their cultural knowledge of the country.
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes in any subject area.
- Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Neither graduates holding a Master's degree nor PhD students are eligible for this programme.
What can be funded?
- The programme funds attendance of language and area studies courses as well as special language / terminology courses that are offered by state or state-recognised German universities and by affiliated language schools. You can find information on the courses under www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste
- The courses are taught exclusively in German.
Duration of the funding
- The courses run for at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding days of arrival and departure) with a minimum of 25 hours of teaching a week.
- The grants are non-renewable.
- The courses usually take place in the period from June to December.
- One-off scholarship payment of 850 euros; participants from the countries defined by the "OECD-DAC-List" (Least Developed Countries) receive a scholarship of 1,025 euros.
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see: travel allowance)
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Please note:
Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is possibly paid only the difference to the full amount of the scholarship by the course provider.
The above mentioned payments (including travel allowance) will not be transferred abroad.
- A selection committee reviews applications
- The most important selection criteria are:
- previous academic achievements
- convincing arguments for choice of study programme and subject
- knowledge of German
What requirements must be met?
- The grant holder must be at least 18 years old when he/she starts the funded stay.
- Applicants must be registered at a university in their home country or in the country they are currently studying in (except Germany) at the time their funded stay begins.
- A scholarship holder may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant.
- It is not possible to apply simultaneously for an Intensive Language Course and University Summer Course Grant.
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures in German and collaborate in teams.
- Proof of German language skills must be provided wirh the application.
- The language certificate for the required minimum language should be no more than one year old. Language certificates from B2 or TDN4 in all examined sections may be older than one year.
- The following language certificates can be accepted: onDaF, onSET, TestDaF, GI-Nachweis, DSD, DSH, telc Deutsch, ÖSD.
- In principle, applicants must provide proof of a minimum language level of A2.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of university degree certificate with final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits of the last two years (in German or in English)
- Language certificates
To be submitted by post
A recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
1. December each year
- In the application form, applicants are asked to specify the courses they wish to take. Applicants should fill in all spaces. The DAAD does its best to consider these preferences when it makes a final decision about allocating places. Important: Because there is only a limited number of available places, however, the DAAD reserves the right to allocate an alternative course.
- It is not possible to change a course subsequently or to discontinue a course.
- Only applications that have been submitted on time and are complete can be considered.
- Ownership of the application documents including all appendices, samples, etc. shall pass to the DAAD without claim to payment. Documents are not returned to applicants.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Tel.: ++ 389 (0) 2 3216656
Fax: ++ 389 (0) 2 3216655
DAAD Verbindungsbüro Skopje
Univerzitet "Kiril i Metodij"
ul. Arhimedova 5, PO Box 162
More detailed information
- You can find out about course providers and programmes on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/hsk-kursliste.
- You will find more information about language certificates on the DAAD website under: www.daad.de/deutschland/nachdeutschland/voraussetzungen/en/6221-deutsche-sprache.
- Answers on questions about the programme University Summer Courses you will find here
- General information and answers on questions regarding application requirements, planning and preparing your application and the following selection process you will find here
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.