Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation: Georg Forster Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The grant is intended to support highly-qualified scientists and scholars of all disciplines from developing and transition states. Candidates are experienced researchers who completed their doctorates less than 12 years ago. The fellowship allows them to conduct their own long-term research project (six to 18 months) in cooperation with an academic host of their own choice at a research institution in Germany.
Candidates are expected to have their own, clearly defined research profile: they should typically be working at least at the level of assistant professor or junior research group leader or be able to document independent research work over a number of years. The issues treated in the research project must be of high relevance to the continued development of the applicant's country or region of origin.
Each fellowship is worth EUR 3,150 monthly, paid over a period of six to 18 months. Furthermore, there are additional benefits.
highly-qualified experienced researchers from a developing or transition country. See the list of eligible countries here.
six to 18 months
The fellowship is worth EUR 3,150 per month. The amount includes a mobility lump sum and payments towards health- and liability insurances.
- travel allowance
- language grant
- allowances for accompanying family members
- standard allowance for single parents with children accompanying them
- option to additionally extend the research grant, if the fellow is accompanied by children under the age of 12
- subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni sponsorship
All application forms and further information on the application procedure can be found here
Applications can be submitted at any time.
- doctorate or comparable academic degree (PhD, Csc or equivalent) completed less than 12 years prior to the date of application; if it is not possible or customary to take a doctorate in the candidate’s subject or country, an application may be submitted up to 16 years after completing a Master's degree or Diplom, provided that the publication record is commensurate with the candidate’s career stage.
- candidate’s own research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses
- research must be of major relevance to the future development of the candidate’s country or region of origin
- confirmation that research facilities are available, mentoring agreement and detailed expert’s opinion by an academic host at a research institution in Germany
- expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and another academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s qualification, preferably a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute
- necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German, if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully, otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submitting the application.
Candidates who have completed their school education and one higher-education degree or one higher-education degree and their doctorate in Germany are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located in a developing or transition state on the assumption of permanence for at least five years.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).