Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Undergraduate Scholarship • DAAD
- Undergraduate Scholarships (7-10 months), 2018
- Undergraduate Scholarships (max. 6 months), 2018
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Restricted to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at German universities. Preference will be given to students whose projects or programs are based at and organized by a German university. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study abroad program or an independent study abroad semester or year.
Who can apply?
Undergraduate Students of all disciplines who will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor’s degree
What can be funded?
Study abroad, exchanges, internships of 3 months or less as part of a semester of study abroad, internships of up to 10 months that are a mandatory and integral part of the course of studies, and senior thesis research stays
Duration of the funding
- 4-10 months
- the scholarship is non-renewable
Monthly stipend of 650 Euro, health, accident and liability insurance, travel allowance
An independent selection committee of academics and international education experts evaluates the applications and selects the Undergraduate Scholarship grantees.
For more detailed information please visit www.daad.org/undergrad
What requirements must be met?
- You are currently a second or third year student and will be in your third or fourth year during your stay in Germany.
- You are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year
- You possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity.
- You have well-defined study, research and/or internship plans for your stay in Germany.
- You demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and explain the significance of your project in Germany to your future studies, research or professional goals.
- You are enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university.
- You will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor's degree
- When you apply to your study program of choice, you must prove adequate knowledge of the language of instruction. You can find out exactly what language skills are required in the university's study and admissions regulations.
- Good German language skills are usually a requirement for studying in Germany, especially in the arts. Exceptions are possible for programs taught in English.
All applicants must complete and submit their applications through the DAAD portal. You are also required to mail 3 hard copies of the “Application summary” (PDF file). The summary is generated by the DAAD portal with the completion of your application.
Access to the DAAD portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
Certificates, transcripts, and translations may be scanned and uploaded in non-certified form.
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation; 1-3 pages)
- "Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility"
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. This can be submitted after the rest of the application, but prior to starting the program. In this case, please include in your application a letter from your study abroad office or the program you are applying to, which confirms that you are indeed applying for the respective program.
- College Transcripts
- Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis)
2. To be submitted by mail:
- The "Application summary"; please send 3 hard copies to the application address.
- One recent letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your major at your home university; please enclose one copy of the letter in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
January 31, 2017
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal (see Item 1) and by post (see Item 2). The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
North America Regional Office
DAAD New York Office
871 United Nations Plaza
10017 New York, N.Y.
Phone: (001/212) 7 58-32 23
Telefax: (001/212) 7 55-57 80
DAAD Information Centre Toronto
c/o Munk School of Global Affairs
North Side, Room 207
University of Toronto
1 Devonshire Place
Toronto, ON M5S 3K7
Phone: +1 416 9468 116
United States (West Coast)
DAAD Information Center San Francisco
530 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: +1 415 986-2021
More detailed information
www.daad.org/sholarship for further information
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
Submit the printed "Application summary" – if necessary with several copies (see "Application procedure/Application documents") by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.