Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Applicants for the research fellowship are scientists and scholars from all disciplines with excellent qualifications from Brazil. The funding is designed to support post-doctoral researchers at the beginning of their academic careers as well as experienced researchers who have obtained a doctorate less than 12 years ago. The programme offers candidates the opportunity to select a long-term research project and realise it in cooperation with an academic host of their choice at a research institution in Germany.
Post-doctoral students receive a monthly sum of EUR 2,600, experienced researchers of EUR 3,100. In addition, there are supplementary benefits for both groups. The funding period ranges from six to 24 months for post-doctoral students and from six to 18 months for experienced researchers.
The Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme is a joint fellowship programme of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the Brazilian research funding organisation Capes (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior). Applications shall be submitted online to either Capes or the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- post-doctoral students: Applicants are typically researchers with excellent qualifications from Brazil, who are at the beginning of their academic careers and have obtained their doctorate less than four years ago.
- experienced researchers: Eligible candidates are academics with excellent qualifications from Brazil, who already have research experience and have earned their doctorate less than 12 years ago.
- post-doctoral students: six to 24 months
- experienced researchers: six to 18 months
- post-doctoral students: The fellowship amounts to EUR 2,600 per month. In addition, funding includes a grant to health insurance, a start-up lump sum and an allowance for the fellow's travel from and to Brazil. Furthermore, a monthly mobility allowance of EUR 100 is paid.
- experienced researchers: The fellowship amounts to EUR 3,100 per month. In addition, funding includes a grant to health insurance, a start-up lump sum and an allowance for the fellow's travel from and to Brazil. Moreover, a monthly mobility allowance of EUR 100 is paid.
Further benefits for both groups:
- research allowance
- language course grant
- allowances for accompanying family members
- allowances for accompanying children under the age of 18 for single-parent fellows
- option to extend the fellowship of up to 12 months for fellows with children under the age of 12
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni support
Please find the application forms and further information on the application procedure on the Capes website
You will find the application deadlines here
- doctorate awarded in Brazil or abroad and officially recognized in Brazil less than four years prior to the date of application in the case of post-doctoral researchers and less than 12 years prior to the date of application for experienced researchers
- academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses (post-doctoral researchers) or an independent research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses (experienced researchers)
- confirmation that a post in a research institution is available, letter of academic supervision and detailed expert's report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany
- language skills: Natural scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English; physicians and scholars in the humanities and social sciences must have a good knowledge of German, if necessary for the successful realisation of the project, otherwise a good knowledge of English is required.
- Brazilian citizenship or permanent residence visa for Brazil
- verifiable teaching or research activity in Brazil
- Research already funded by other programmes does not qualify for Capes-Humboldt Research Fellowship Programme support.
Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months prior to the application deadline are not eligible to apply.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).