Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowships • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The programme aims to support the further internationalisation of the German science and research.
Who can apply?
Recent international postdocs who have completed their studies with a PhD or equivalent qualification no more than two years ago. Applicants must neither hold German nationality nor have resided in Germany for the last 6 months before the application deadline.
What can be funded?
Leibniz-DAAD fellowships offer highly-qualified, international postdoctoral researchers, who have recently completed their doctoral studies, the opportunity to conduct research at the Leibniz institute of their choice in Germany. Leibniz-DAAD research fellows can undertake their research at the 91 Leibniz institutes listed in the following links:
- Section A: Humanities and Educational Research/Geisteswissenschaften und Bildungsforschung
- Section B: Economics, Social Sciences and Spatial Research/Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Raumwissenschaften
- Section C: Life Sciences/Lebenswissenschaften
- Section D: Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Engineering/Mathematik, Natur- und Ingenieurwissenschaften
- Section E: Environmental Sciences/Umweltwissenschaften
- Applicants should be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements.
- The research project proposal must match the selected Leibniz institute. Projects that do not correspond with the activities of the chosen institute will not be considered.
What requirements must be met?
- should be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements;
- have completed their studies with a PhD or equivalent qualification; no more than two years should have passed since the thesis defence/viva voce, so that only PhD graduates who completed their thesis between January 1, 2015 and March 9, 2017 will be eligible to apply for a Leibniz-DAAD research fellowship for 2017/18; there will be a grace period till May 31, 2017 for those who have completed their thesis but not yet their defence/viva voce.
- Applicants should have excellent knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of German is welcome.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also requested to send some of the documents by post to the application address.
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form;
- Cover page
- Curriculum vitae;
- List of publications;
- Description of the research project (max. 3 pages);
- Detailed timeline (max. 1 page);
- Abstract of the doctoral thesis (max. 3 pages);
- Copies of the Master degree certificate
- PhD diploma
- University certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s) of the Master and the PhD studies (transcripts of records), incl. explanation of grading System
- Officially recognised English language certificate (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS) or confirmation of the English language skills by a university teacher of the applicant´s own choice. This does not apply to applicants whose mother tongue is English.
2. To be submitted by post
- Two recent references by two referees (senior academic) which provide information about your qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.The referees can send the reference letters by mail to the application address directly.
13 March 2017
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Mr. Oliver Reinken
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
- Submit the required references (in sealed envelopes) by post.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).