Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
PhD–Study at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa • DAAD
- PhD–Study at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal and South Africa, 2018
- PhD – Study at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Cameroon, 2018
- PhD-Study at AIMS Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Restricted to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
AIMS, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, as a self-governing non-profit trust, which is supported by several universities, offers a postgraduate Programme to talented students from the African continent. In a similar way, AIMS is extending its offer to Masters and Doctoral Degree Programme in mathematical sciences meeting the need for highly qualified scientists in Africa.
It has been agreed upon that DAAD co-operates with AIMS Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa by offering up to 2 Scholarships each for a PhD Programme in Mathematics.
Who can apply?
nationals or permanent residents of an African country
What can be funded?
PhD-study in mathematical sciences
Duration of the funding
The duration of the PhD-programme is three years.
The scholarship covers: Tuition and registration fees, study and research allowance, final allowance, monthly scholarship and travel allowance.
For details, see call for application
For detailed information, see call for application
What requirements must be met?
- have successfully completed generally at least a two-year Master degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (second class upper division)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of an African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD portal)
- Curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- 2 recommendation letters by university lecturers
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport or national identity card.
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
Application Closing Date: 18th of June 2018
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Head of Section
ST 32 Africa
Dr. Olivier Pamen
Contact person at AIMS Ghana
Prof. Giséle Mouphou
Contact person at AIMS Cameroon
Dr. Bubacarr Bah
Contact person at AIMS South Africa
Tel: +27(0)21 787 9339
call for application
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- Scan paper documents and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices to the portal in PDF format.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm CET and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm CET.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).