Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme SLGA • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Restricted to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
As part of the “In-Country / In-Region Scholarship Programme”, in which more than 50 African universities and university networks participate and which annually supports almost 1.000 African postgraduates, DAAD is able to offer scholarships for postgraduate studies to selected universities within the Network of Excellence on Land Governance in Africa (NELGA). The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff development in the first line, without neglecting other public-sector demand of academically trained personnel.
For further information on the NELGA please refer to: http://nelga.org/
Who can apply?
- must be nominated by a representative of the target university;
- must have completed their last degree not more than six years ago at the time of application;
- must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
What can be funded?
Master- and PhD studies at the following universities:
Bahir Dar University (Ethiopia) (usually starting in autumn)
- PhD Land Policy and Governance
- Master in Spatial Science (Land Administration, Property Studies)
- PhD in Spatial Science (Land Administration, Property Studies), from 2017
- MSc Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies
- PhD Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies
- MPhil Planning
- PhD Planning
- MPhil Development Studies
- PhD Development Studies
- MSc Land Management (by thesis)
- PhD Land Management (by thesis)
- MSc Urban Planning and Management (by coursework & dissertation)
- MSc Real Estate (by coursework & dissertation)
- PhD Land Administration (by coursework & dissertation)
Duration of the funding
The scholarship will initially be awarded for one year only and can be extended annually (or shorter) upon individual request and receipt of a complete application for renewal by the scholarship holders via the DAAD-portal, four months before the scholarship ends latest. The general funding period for Master’s degree is two years, for Ph.D. three years.
- Tuition fees as specified in the official fee structure
- Monthly allowance for living costs incl. accommodation
- Annual study & research allowance
- Final allowance
- Refund of travel expenses (not applicable for In-Country scholarships);
- Refund of medical insurance
Applicants will be required to follow the regular application process for their studies at their target university. The university will screen and short-list applications and ask the short-listed applicants to upload their complete application documents to the DAAD-Portal. Incomplete applications and applications from candidates that are not short-listed by the target university will not be considered.
For more details and application requirements please refer to your target university:
- Ethiopia: Bahir Dar University www.bdu.edu.et
- Namibia: Namibia University of Science & Technology www.nust.na
- Tanzania: Ardhi University www.aru.ac.tz
- Ghana: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology www.knust.edu.gh/
- South Africa: Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies www.plaas.org.za
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst e.V. (DAAD)
German Academic Exchange Service
Referat ST 32 – Stipendienprogramme Afrika
53175 Bonn / Germany
Tel.: +49 228 882-8876
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).