Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
DAAD grants provide foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany. There are funding programmes for various qualification phases and stages in a career.
The aim of this particular programme is to support short-term research stays and thus promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
Who can apply?
University teachers and established academics and scientists who have usually completed a doctoral degree and work at a university or research institute in their home country.
Former holders of fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation are requested to contact first the Humboldt Foundation.
What can be funded?
- Research stays at state or state-recognised institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany. A research stay can also take place at several host institutions.
- Funding may only be claimed once within three years.
- Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Duration of the funding
- One to three months; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Monthly payments of
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers,
2,150 euros for professors
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- Other payments cannot be made.
An independent selection committee reviews applications.
The most important selection criteria are:
- academic achievements and recent publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications
- a convincing and well-planned research project
What requirements must be met?
- Applicants must work at a university or institute of higher education in their home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany. The applicant must be provided with a workplace.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also required to send 1 copy/copies of the "Application summary" (PDF file), which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application procedure has been completed, by post to the application address.
The access to the DAAD portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
To apply, please select the call for applications for this programme in the scholarship database (www.funding-guide.de). From here, you can enter the portal by clicking the tab "Submitting an application".
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages)
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay
- Letter from host confirming academic cooperation, which refers to the applicant's proposal and guarantees that a workplace will be provided
2. To be submitted by post:
- The "Application summary", which is generated in the portal in PDF format and which can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 1 copy/copies to the application address.
November 15th for stays that start between June and November of the following year;
May 1st for scholarships that start between December of the same year and May of the following year
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal (see Item 1) and by post (see Item 2). The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day, unless it is possible to submit applications on an ongoing basis.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
DAAD Information Centre Belgrad
Cara Urosa 35
Tel.: +381 (11) /2636-424
University of Belgrad
Faculty of Philology
Institute of German Studies
Studentski trg 3/1
Dr. Ivan Vlassenko
Odsek za germanistiku
Univerzitet u Novom Sadu
Dr. Zorana Djindjica 2
21000 Novi Sad, Srbija
More detailed information
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
Submit the printed "Application summary" – if necessary with several copies (see "Application procedure/Application documents") by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).