Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
IIT Master Sandwich Scholarships • DAAD
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The scholarships offer students from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) the opportunity to complete a project work as part of their master’s thesis under the guidance of a German professor at one of the TU9 technical universities.
Who can apply?
Students from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) in the 2nd semester of their master’s study or in the eigth semester of an integrated or dual degree programme.
What is supported?
Research work to one’s master’s thesis at one of the followingTU9 technical universities in Germany:
- RWTH Aachen
- Technische Universität Berlin
- Technische Universität Braunschweig
- Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Technische Universität Dresden
- Leibniz Universität Hannover
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
- Technische Universität München (TUM)
- Universität Stuttgart
Applications for TU Berlin are excluded in 2016
Applications for the KIT Campus Alpin, Garmisch-Partenkirchen cannot be considered.
Duration of funding
7 months (September - March, including a language course in Germany)
Please note: Passing the German language course at the German university is a condition for continuation of the scholarship award.
- Scholarship payments of 750 euros a month
- Payments towards health, accident and liability insurance cover
- 4 to 6 weeks German course at German university
- One-off research allowance of 266 euros
- monthly rent subsidy where appropriate
- Participation in get-together of DAAD scholarship
Applications shall be submitted to the Dean’s office of the respective Indian Institute of Technology (IIT). These will forward a ranking list of eligible applicants to the DAAD Office in New Delhi. The final decision lies with the Selection Committee of the DAAD.
Results will be announced by May.
What requirements have to be fulfilled?
- Applicants must be in the 2nd semester of their master’s study or in the eigth semester of an integrated or dual degree programme at the time of application.
- Applicants must have obtained a minimum of 8,5 CGPA.
- GATE / JAM / CEED scores must be above average.
- Applicants must hold the Indian citizenship.
German language skills are not mandatory. Very good proficiency of the English language is expected.
Please submit two copies of application documents to the Dean’s Office of your Indian Institute of Technology (IIT):
- Application form
- Full curriculum vitae
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany (academic adviser)
- Two recent references from university teachers which provide information about the applicant’s qualifications; please enclose one copy of the reference in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application.
- Detailed description of the research proposal for the master’s thesis which has been agreed upon with and signed by both academic advisers – from the IIT and the German host university –
- University degree certificates indicating final grade(s) (CGPA /CPI /SGPA)
- Copies of GATE / JAM / CEED results.
Please be advised not to contact a host professor directly but rather take the help of your Indian academic advisor to find a suitable placement in Germany. Your advisor is expected to finalize the topic of your project in consultation and mutual agreement with his German counterpart.
Further to that please note, that the first and last name filled in the application form should be identical to the name in the passport.
Please check with your Dean’s Office in time which application deadline has been set out.
The DAAD Office in New Delhi shall have received the list of eligible applicants from the Indian Institute of Technology by 15 April.
Please note, that the DAAD Office in New Delhi will neither accept direct nor incomplete applications.
Dean’s Office of your Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)