Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowships • DAAD
|Country of Origin:||
The scholarship for this programme is restricted to certain countries of origin. You can find an explanation for this on the details page of the scholarship programme under the application requirements.
Restricted to the following disciplines:
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
The Leibniz – DAAD Research Fellowship programme is jointly carried out by the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft e.V.) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
What can be funded?
Leibniz-DAAD fellowships offer highly-qualified, international postdoctoral researchers, who have recently completed their doctoral studies, the opportunity to conduct research at one Leibniz institute of their choice in Germany. Leibniz-DAAD research fellows can undertake their research at the Leibniz institutes listed in the following links:
- Section A: Humanities and Educational Research/Geisteswissenschaften und Bildungsforschung
- Section B: Economics, Social Sciences and Spatial Research/Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Raumwissenschaften
- Section C: Life Sciences/Lebenswissenschaften
- Section D: Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Engineering/Mathematik, Natur- und Ingenieurwissenschaften
- Section E: Environmental Sciences/Umweltwissenschaften
- Only Leibniz Institutes listed under the above links can accept fellows this year.
- Projects that do not relate to the activities of the selected institute cannot be considered.
Duration of the funding
Fellowships can be awarded for 12 months.
The fellowship period must commence between September 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019.
- a monthly instalment of €2,000,
- a combined health, accident and personal liability insurance as well as long-term care insurance in Germany,
- a research allowance of €460 per annum and
- a two-months German language course in Germany (if desired).
15 fellowships are awarded each year. The selection process will be completed in June 2018. We will communicate results to all applicants via the DAAD portal.
What requirements must be met?
At the time of the application deadline, applicants for a Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowship must neither hold German nationality nor have resided in Germany more than the last six months prior to the application deadline.
- be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements,
- have completed their PhD or equivalent qualification in 2016 or later (Applications may be submitted before completion of the PhD. However, the PhD must be completed before the start of the funding period.),
- pursue a project for which the respective Leibniz Institute can offer an adequate infrastructure and scientific environment and
- have excellent knowledge of English (knowledge of German is welcome).
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also requested to send some of the documents by post to the application address.
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD online portal:
- Online application form (available in the portal);
- Confirmation of Supervision;
- Curriculum vitae;
- List of publications;
- Abstract of the research project, incl. the title of the project (max. 1 page);
- Description of the research project, incl. the title of the project (5-10 pages);
- Detailed work plan and timeline (max. 1 page);
- Abstract of the doctoral thesis, incl. the title of the thesis (max. 1 page);
- Master degree certificate;
- PhD diploma;
- University certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s) of the Master and the PhD studies (transcripts of records), incl. explanation of grading system (if available).
All documents have to be uploaded in English or German (if the original is not in English or German, please upload the original and a certified translation).
2. Documents to be sent to the DAAD application address by post:
Two letters of recommendation, which should be written by senior academics of the applicant´s own choice: The form of the letter of recommendation has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referees and ask for the completed reference form to be sent to the application address in Bonn in a sealed envelope. References are confidential and must not be read by the applicant.
The letters of recommendation cannot be accepted in digital form and must be sent by regular mail. The letters of recommendation must arrive in Bonn by March 22, 2018 at the latest, at the address:
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Mr. Oliver Reinken
March 8, 2018 (Applications received after March 8, 2018 will not be considered. The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.)
Please submit your application online via the DAAD online portal (from January 8, 2018). Please be aware that only complete applications will be accepted. Applicants are responsible for their applications completeness.
Contact and Consulting
Information and advisory centres
Mr. Oliver Reinken
Submitting an application
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
- Submit the required references (in sealed envelopes) by post.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-888 or via e-mail email@example.com, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Please consider this when you are planning your application.