Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation: Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers
Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung.
A print version of this announcement (PDF) is available in the further tabs (e.g. “Application requirements”).
Highly-qualified international scientists and scholars from all disciplines who completed their doctorates less than 12 years ago and wish to spend extended periods of research in Germany are invited to apply. Candidates can come from any nation and are expected to have their own, clearly defined research profile: they should typically be working at least at the level of assistant professor or junior research group leader or be able to document independent research work over a number of years.
The fellowship amounts to EUR 3,150, offering the candidates the opportunity to carry out their own long-term research projects (six to 18 months) in cooperation with academic hosts of their choice at research institutions in Germany. The sponsorship entails further benefits and may be flexibly divided into a maximum of three visits within a range of three years. Short-term visits for study and training purposes or for attending conferences are not eligible for sponsorship.
highly-qualified scientists and scholars from any discipline or nation who have completed their doctorates less than 12 years ago
Number of Scholarships
About 500 Fellowships are awarded each year to post-doctoral or experienced researchers.
six to 18 months
The fellowship is worth EUR 3,150 per month. The amount includes a mobility lump sum and payments towards health- and liability insurances.
- travel allowance
- language grant
- allowance for accompanying family members
- for single-parent fellows: fixed allowance for accompanying children
- option to extend the research grant, if the fellow is accompanied by children under the age of 12
- research cost allowance
- Europe allowance
- extensive alumni sponsorship
detailed information on the application and selection procedures here
Applications can be submitted at any time.
- doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent) awarded no longer than 12 years prior to the date of application. If a doctorate is not possible or usual in the applicant's country of origin or subject, application is possible up to 16 years after gaining a Master's degree or Diplom, provided that the publication record is commensurate with the candidate’s career stage
- candidate’s own research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses
- confirmation of a research post as well as a detailed letter of recommendation from an academic host at a research institution in Germany
- two expert reviews by important cooperation partners and/or academics from the candidate’s own institute and, if possible, from outside the candidate's country of origin
- language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German, if it is necessary to carry out the project successfully, otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English
Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submission of the application. Candidates who hold German citizenship are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located abroad on the assumption of permanence for at least five years. Potential applicants who have completed their school education and one university degree or one university degree and their doctorate in Germany are subject to the regulations governing German citizens.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).