Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists • DAAD
These grants and scholarships aim to provide foreign academics and scientists working in higher education or at research institutes with an opportunity to carry out a research project at a state (public) or state-recognised higher education institution or non-university research institute in Germany.
Depending on the applicant's work schedule, the research stay will last between one and three months.
- Depending on the applicant's academic status, the monthly award will amount to 2,000 euros for assistant lecturers, assistant professors and young lecturers, and 2,150 euros for professors, in exceptions, 2,300 euros.
- In addition to these payments, the DAAD generally will pay an appropriate flat-rate travel allowance, unless these costs are covered by the home country or by another funding source.
- Applications for DAAD research stays are open to excellently-qualified academics and scientists who should generally hold a doctorate/PhD. All applicants must be working in higher education or at a research institute in their home country.
- Besides their previous academic achievements (for example, recent publications), the most important selection criterion is a convincing and well-planned research project to be completed during the stay in Germany. This must have been coordinated and agreed with a research collaboration partner at the chosen host institute in Germany. Written confirmation of the research cooperation, including express reference to the applicant's project, must be included with the application papers.
- The application must provide proof of a workplace being provided at the host institute.
- DAAD support for a research stay can only be awarded once in any three-year period.
- Former fellows of the Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation are requested to contact the Humboldt-Foundation first.
- Detailed information on the application papers which need to be submitted can be found in the Application Form for "Research Stays and Study Visits for University Academics and Scientists" ("Forschungs- und Arbeitsaufenthalte ausländischer Hochschullehrer und Wissenschaftler" – in printed form blue), which can be obtained on the Internet (www.daad.de/en/form) or from the diplomatic and consular representations of the Federal Republic of Germany, from DAAD Lektors, from the DAAD regional offices or Information and Advice Centres, and from partner organisations.
- The DAAD will not consider incomplete applications.
- For information on the exact deadlines for the submission of the application papers and on where applications should be sent see „Country-specific Information“.
- Applications must not be sent direct to DAAD head office in Bonn.
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).