Here you can find information on various kinds of DAAD funding for foreign students, graduates and postdocs as well as on funding offered by other selected organisations.
Intensive Language Courses offered in Germany for Foreign Students and Graduates • DAAD
The scholarship programme aims to help students and graduates improve their German proficiency and their cultural knowledge of the country. Therefore, these grants are awarded to attend intensive German courses at a language school or institute in Germany (list of courses:www.daad.de/isk-kursliste).
- The grants run for two months and can be taken between June and January.
- The grants cannot be extended.
- The DAAD awards a grant of 2,300.- euros plus a country-specific flat-rate travel allowance (with the exception of Western Europe, see: www.daad.de/rkp-hsk_hwk_isk).
- Accommodation is generally booked via the course organiser.
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes of all subject areas who will have completed at least two academic years of studies at the time of starting their funded stay, as well as to doctoral students.
- Students in their last year of a Bachelor’s programme are entitled to apply if they intend to start a Master's degree programme immediately after completing their Bachelor degree.. Please include the letter of confirmation by the higher education institution as proof.
- Applications are also open to graduates working in the higher education sector whose last degree was gained no longer than six years ago.
- Applicants from the fields of German studies, German as a foreign language, and from translation/interpretation degree courses are excluded from this programme.
- At the time of commencing the scholarship, applicants must be registered in or working at a higher education institution in their home country or in a country in which they have permanent residence status (apart from Germany).
- Applicants must present proof of German language skills which must at least be equivalent to level A1 and at most to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The most recent language certificate should be no older than 6 months. Language certificates from the Goethe-Institutes may be older. Further general information on language certificates is available on the DAAD website: www.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/voraussetzungen/en/6221-deutsche-sprache/.
- The minimum age at the time of starting the funded stay is 18 years.
- An applicant may only be considered once for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant in any three consecutive years.
- It is not possible to apply for an intensive language course and for a university summer course at the same time.
- Alternative requirements may apply for some few countries as specified in the "Country -specific Information" section.
- Additional information on the application process is available on the DAAD website: www.daad.de/en/form (further downloadable forms - FAQs for applicants and FAQs for scholarship holders)
- Information on the application papers to be submitted is included on the application form ("Antrag auf ein Intensivsprachkursstipendium"/Application for an intensive language course scholarship - in German only), which can be obtained on the Internet (www.daad.de/en/form) or from the DAAD regional offices, from DAAD- or IC- Lektors, from the diplomatic and consular representations of the Federal Republic of Germany, and from DAAD partner organisations. Please note that this application form is available online for certain countries. In the case of these countries, applications must be submitted using the online form. To find out if this applies to your country, please refer to the Country-specific Information.
- In the application form, applicants are required to specify the courses they wish to take. Applicants have to fill in all spaces and name different course locations and/or course durations. As far as possible, the DAAD takes these preferences into account when it makes a final decision regarding course placement. Because the number of available places is limited, however, the DAAD reserves the right to choose an alternative course.
- The course choices indicated in the application form are binding. It is not possible to change or discontinue a course (see information in the application form and FAQ for applicants and scholarship holders:www.daad.de/en/form).
- Consideration can only be given to applications if they are received on time and are complete, and if they provide details on all the examinations taken and document these appropriately (see cover sheet of application form: www.daad.de/en/form.
- Please submit the grant application in a single copy.
- Your application papers including all the attachments, samples, etc. become the property of the DAAD without claim to payment or compensation. No materials are returned.
- Applicants must not send their application direct to the DAAD in Bonn.
- Applications must be submitted to a DAAD Regional Office, or DAAD-(IC-)Lektor, or Consulate-General or Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, or to a DAAD partner organisation.
- Country-specific application deadlines are listed under "Country-specific information". Here, you will find additional information relating to your home country.
- The above offices must submit all applications to the DAAD, Section 513, by 31 January at the latest. Please take note of the application deadlines that apply specifically to your home country.
- The programme administrators at the DAAD in Bonn are
Ms. Ivana Rossi
Tel.: 0049 228 882 371
Fax: 0049 228 882 9 371
Mr. Torsten Bügel
Tel.: 0049 228 882 313
Fax: 0049 228 882 9 313
Ms. Anja Neumann (part-time)
Tel.: 0049 228 882 316
Fax: 0049 228 882 9 316
Ms. Regina Panoulas (part-time)
Tel.: 0049 228 882 8636
Fax: 0049 228 882 9 8636
Please select your status and your country of origin to enable you to submit an application
Your status and/or country of origin is not in the list? If your status and/or country of origin is not included in the list, you cannot apply for this scholarship programme. To ensure that only scholarship programmes for which you are eligible to apply are shown, please select your status and your country of origin in the results list (left-hand column).