Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowships 2014
The Leibniz – DAAD Research Fellowship programme is jointly carried out by the Leibniz Association (Wissenschaftsgemeinschaft Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz e.V.) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Leibniz-DAAD fellowships offer highly-qualified, international postdoctoral researchers, who have recently completed their doctoral studies, the opportunity to conduct research at the Leibniz Institute of their choice in Germany.
Leibniz-DAAD research fellows can undertake their research at 86 Leibniz Institutes in the following areas:
- Section A: Humanities and Educational Research/Geisteswissenschaften und Bildungsforschung
- Section B: Economics, Social Sciences and Spatial Research/Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Raumwissenschaften
- Section C: Life Sciences/Lebenswissenschaften
- Section D: Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Engineering/Mathematik, Natur- und Ingenieurwissenschaften
- Section E: Environmental Sciences/Umweltwissenschaften
- Only Leibniz Institutes listed under the above links can accept fellows this year.
- Projects that do not correspond with the activities of the chosen institute will not be considered.
Terms of the Fellowship
Fellowships can be awarded for 12 months and include:
- a monthly instalment of €2,000;
- health, accident and personal liability insurance in Germany;
- a research allowance of €460 per annum;
- a two-month German language course in Germany (if desired).
At the time of application, applicants for a Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowship must neither hold German nationality nor have resided in Germany for more than six months.
- be able to prove their outstanding academic or research achievements,
- have completed their studies with a PhD or equivalent qualification (no more than two years should have passed since graduation), and
- have excellent knowledge of English.
Knowledge of German is welcome.
Applicants must submit the following documents in duplicate by post:
- completed “Application for Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowships” form;
- recent passport size photograph (attached to the application form);
- curriculum vitae;
- list of publications (if any);
- description of the research project (max. 3 pages);
- detailed activity plan and timeline (max. 1 page);
- abstract of the doctoral/PhD thesis (max. 3 pages);
- two letters of recommendation, which may be from scholars of the applicant’s choice and must be enclosed in sealed envelopes or sent by the referees directly to the DAAD head office in Bonn by the closing date for applications;
- copies of all academic degree certificates and transcripts of records with certified translations into English or German;
- copy of English language skills certification (e.g. TOEFL 550/213/80, IELTS: 6.0) not more than five years old.
Incomplete applications and applications sent by email cannot be accepted or processed.
Please note that by applying for a fellowship as part of the Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowship programme, applicants automatically consent to the DAAD forwarding their documents and personal details to the Leibniz Association and its associated institutions, which will make the final decision. No personal details will be forwarded to third parties by the DAAD, the Leibniz Association or the Leibniz Institutes.
A hard copy of the application must reach the DAAD head office in Bonn.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
7 March 2014
This date is final and will be strictly enforced. Incomplete applications and applications received by email or after 7 March 2014 will not be considered for a fellowship.
Ms Cordula Behrsing
Tel.: +49 (0228) 882-781
Fax: +49 (0228) 882-9781
- Announcement 2014 (pdf)