Doctoral Positions in Germany
Ph.D. scholarship in Software Engineering for Robotics and Automation • Fraunhofer IPA • Stuttgart
|Time Span||as soon as possible for 3 years|
|Application Deadline||31 Mar 2019|
|Type of Position||
|Field of Research||
|Subjects||Computer Science and Industrial Machinery|
|Description||DO YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR ROBOTICS? YOU CAN FIND INTERESTING AND ENGAGING CHALLENGES AT FRAUNHOFER IPA IN OUR ROBOT AND ASSISTIVE SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT:
PH.D. SCHOLARSHIP IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING FOR ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION
Job Reference: IPA-2019-70
The key focus of research and development at Fraunhofer IPA is to find solutions to organizational and technological challenges, with special focus on the production environment of industrial enterprises. Our R&D projects aim to enhance production processes and make products more cost-effective and environmentally friendly by identifying and exploiting the potential for automation and streamlining at customer companies. From inception to pilot, we value scientific excellence as much as pragmatic engineering.
Our Robot and Assistive Systems department develops robot solutions and supporting technologies for application fields such as manufacturing, logistics, robot-assisted living. A significant example of our R&D work is the Care-O-bot 4 technology platform, a technology test bed as well as a product commercialized by one of our spin-off companies. Other examples include pilot lines deployed in real production environments for reconfigurable manufacturing of automotive components, and machine-to-cloud software stacks to monitor assets, drive machinery, and optimize production processes.
A key enabler towards our vision is software: open, accessible, certifiable. We actively pursue the topics of open-source, model-based engineering, functional safety as its core traits, in the context of consulting work for best-in-class private customers and of projects such as RoboShield, ROS-Industrial, ScalABLE 4.0, and the Service Robotics Network, to name a few. We benefit from generous public funding from German state and federal governments, as well as from the European Commission.
The selected candidate is expected to start on April 2019, or soon thereafter.
• Vertical integration from machine to cloud: from automation hardware to higher-level infrastructure (MES, ERP)
• Horizontal integration of robotics and automation devices
• Planning of assembly sequences
Please include with your application through our online system (https://recruiting.fraunhofer.de/Vacancies/43563/Application/New/2): cover letter expressing your motivations and ambitions, your CV, copies of all academic qualifications (including school education) and relevant references and certificates.
What you can expect from us
• Opportunity to pursue advanced software engineering in a range of domains within robotics and automation
• Culturally diverse working environment in close contact with top robotics researchers as well as with industrial customers
• Career opportunities such as direct responsibility over projects and staff, scientific work towards a Ph.D. degree, and incubation of start-up companies with direct support of our institute
• Exceptionally well-equipped laboratories and work facilities to enable you to implement and validate your ideas, in one of the biggest robotics departments in Europe.
Have we aroused your interest and would you like to get to know us better? With your application, you have the chance to learn everything about our work in our department during our selection days and to get to know your future colleagues in person. For more information, please check:
Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD). Additionally Fraunhofer may grant performance-based variable remuneration components.
The position is initially limited for 3 years
In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
Contact HR Department:
Phone +49 711 970-1153
Contact Robot and Assistive Systems:
Mirko Bordignon, Ph.D.
Phone +49 711 970-1629
|Requirements||What we expect from you
• Master degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Science, or related degree, with above average grades
• Excellent analytical and algorithmic skills: clear thinking, clear coding
• Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
• Experience in software development for mechatronic systems or embedded systems (PC and/or PLC platforms)
• Functional programming
• Virtual machine and container technologies
• Ability to cope with stress, tight schedules, underspecified problems
There are no specific nationality or language requirements for this position besides good command of written and spoken English. However, given the tight cooperation with the customer staff and the longer-term employment perspective, proficiency with the Japanese language and/or affinity with the Japanese culture constitute preferential qualifications.
|Language of Dissertation||
Rechtlicher Hinweis: Die Informationen auf dieser Webseite werden dem DAAD von Dritten zur Verfügung gestellt. Trotz sorgfältiger Prüfung kann der DAAD für die Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit keine Gewähr leisten.