Doctoral Positions in Germany
Ph.D. position in bioinformatics (m/f) • Mannheim Technical University • Mannheim
|Time Span||as soon as possible for 3 years|
|Application Deadline||31 May 2019|
|Type of Position||
|Field of Research||
|Subjects||Medical and Pharmacological Bioinformatics in Mass Spectrometry Imaging|
|Description||Ph.D. candidate (m/f) for a collaborative Ph.D. program with Heidelberg University in the field of bioinformatics and multivariate analysis of mass spectrometry imaging datasets of cancer and neurodegeneration tissues.
As a Ph.D. candidate, you will be working closely with biotechnologists, biochemists, pharmacologists and clinicians in a multidisciplinary environment with a strong focus on pharmaceutical, biomedical and diagnostic application of MSI within the areas of precision medicine and personalized health care. The applicant’s research will predominantly focus on computational aspects and will involve researching and developing data mining and interpretation techniques to extract patterns and useful information from MSI datasets, applying image analysis/registration/fusion algorithms and multivariate statistics.
The Ph.D. candidate is expected to develop research plan and timetable for the 3 years research period with guidance from the supervising professor and the research team (currently 8 postdocs and 6 Ph.D. students). Execution of the research plan through carefully planned experiments involving several parties and steps, cooperation with internal and external partners, supervision of bachelor and master students, oral presentations and participation in conferences as well as producing and participating in scientific publications are all part of the Ph.D. process – a journey to become an independent researcher.
The Ph.D. project will be part of one of the consortia mentioned above and hence provides the opportunity for the candidate to develop a project of personal interest in agreement with CeMOS goals.
Application is open, and candidates will be considered continuously. International applications are encouraged. The applicants are expected to apply for their own external funding/scholarship through DAAD (for more info visit https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/hinweise/en/) or any other organization for a duration of at least 3 years. Please send the following as a digital (pdf) copy:
• CV (including a list of publications if applicable, and contact details for two referees).
• M.Sc. certificate.
• Letter of motivation.
• Preliminary research proposal (highlighting applicant’s background, interests and the reason he/she is applying for a PhD position).
Send to: Denis A. Sammour,
E-Mail: d.abu-sammour (at) hs-mannheim.de
For further inquieries, please contact Prof. Dr. Carsten Hopf.
|Requirements||Qualifications and background – must have:
* M.Sc. in computer science, biotechnology, biomedical engineering or related fields.
* In-depth programming skills with R, Matlab and/or Python.
* Strong background in image analysis, signal processing and/or pattern recognition.
* Driven by keen interest in computational research.
* Excellent English language proficiency
* Ability to work independently within an interdisciplinary, diverse and international team.
* Very good communication and organizational skills.
Qualifications and background – nice to have:
* Knowledge of image fusion/ registration methods is a clear advantage.
* German language knowledge is of advantage.
|Language of Dissertation||
Rechtlicher Hinweis: Die Informationen auf dieser Webseite werden dem DAAD von Dritten zur Verfügung gestellt. Trotz sorgfältiger Prüfung kann der DAAD für die Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit keine Gewähr leisten.