Help is always at hand

Hüttermann / DAAD

You're new to Germany and initially have to find your way around. You'll no doubt have many questions, and not just in the first few weeks. We have compiled a list of useful addresses

Never lose the plot!

After your arrival in Germany, you will have to register your new place of residence, take out health insurance and enrol at university. Quite a lot to be getting started with! It's useful to contact as soon as possible institutions that can actively help you with your studies and everyday life. And not just during the first few days of your stay.

We introduce you to a number of services that are offered at almost all university towns. Many of these are free of charge. There may be additional facilities available at your university so take the time to ask!

Studentenwerk (German National Association for Student Affairs)

In addition to the International Office, your most important contact point in your first few days is the local Studentenwerk. This office offers international students comprehensive support, including a special service package designed to help you get started at university. This package usually includes:

The price of the service package depends on the benefits it contains. It can cost between 158 and 358 euro a month and is issued for a maximum of two semesters. The number of packages is limited. So inquire at your university's Studentenwerk in good time!

The Studentenwerk also helps handicapped students.

Student organisations

Student committees

Student committees are bodies that represent the interests of students at universities and are elected by students. These committees are known as AStA (General Students' Committee), UStA (Independent Student Committee) and StuRa (Student Council). The members of student committees advise other students. For example, they offer tips about finding accommodation and jobs. Some student committees organise German courses for international students, car-share opportunities for students travelling to other cities, or they help find language partnerships.

Departmental Student Society ("Fachschaft")

The faculties also offer a Students Advising Students Service ("studentische Studienberatung"), usually organised by faculty representatives. This group of students, who are elected by students, represent the interests of students in a particular faculty. This is where you can get advice about your faculty, if you have problems with lecturers, don't understand the study regulations or need help with examinations.

International University Groups

Many universities also have International University Groups which specifically represent the interests of international students. They organise welcome parties, excursions and regular get-togethers where you soon get to know other students.

Student Advice Services

More general questions relating to studies are answered by the Central Student Advice Service. There, you can find out all about admission procedures, study requirements and course content. If you have questions about your subject, proof of credits (grades, certificates of participation and ECTS points) or about examination regulations, contact the Student Advice Service in your faculty. This is usually offered by research assistants and university teachers.

An overview of advisory services

You have a specific problem or question? At German universities, there are many qualified contact persons on hand to offer you help. Always inquire who else to approach:

Advisory services according to subject

Many Studentenwerk organisations offer childcare facilities.

If you have questions about insurance, contact your Studentenwerk's Social Counselling Offices. There, you can find out whether you are sufficiently insured for a part-time job or placement. You can also get advice and assistance from the Social and Legal Advice Department.

If you run into financial difficulty, you should first contact the Studentenwerk's Social Counselling Office or the International Office. Bridging loans are offered by student committees. Help may also be provided by the Protestant Student Communities or Catholic Student Communities.

If you suffer from an emotional crisis or are unable to work, consult the Psychological Counselling Service. 42 Studentenwerk organisations in Germany offer this service, usually free of charge. Find out if your university is one of these on Deutsche Studentenwerk website.

Writer's block? No need to despair. Many universities offer courses and workshops that teach you the techniques of creative writing and offer tips on preparing coursework and writing theses.

So you are never alone if you have questions about everyday life or studying in Germany. Even when you're planning your course in detail, there's help at hand. You can find out how to put together your timetable and what kind of classes and tests are available under "Studium organisieren".